Auto Insurance and The Co-operators



Let’s start with where you live

Car insurance in Canada varies by province. Where you live determines what coverage you need and who you buy your insurance from.


If you live in Alberta, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island or the Yukon:


You can buy all car insurance from private insurance companies, such as The Co-operators.


If you live in British Columbia, Saskatchewan or Manitoba*:


You are required to buy basic auto insurance that covers injury to yourself and passengers from government-run public insurance systems:



You then have the choice of buying optional insurance coverage, such as coverage for theft or damage to your car, from private insurance companies or the public insurance system in your province. Shop around to see where you can get the best value for your dollar.


*Note: The Co-operators does not sell auto insurance in British Columbia and Manitoba. Extension policy offered in Saskatchewan.


Types of vehicles we insure

Whether your vehicle runs on wheels or skis, travels on water or the back roads, carries people or pulls farm implements, you need to have it insured before you can drive it. Here is a list of the types of vehicles we insure at The Co-operators.


This category includes any motor vehicle used for pleasure or business, driving from home to and from work, with a maximum gross vehicle weight of 4,500 kg or 10,000 lbs.

Commercial Vehicles

Commercial vehicles are used to carry goods or materials for use, distribution or delivery. A commercial vehicle can be a car, van, pick-up truck, trailer, heavy vehicle (like a dump truck) or tractor-trailer.

Farm Vehicles

Farm vehicles are used for farm work or pleasure by the landowner whose occupation is agriculture. They are not driven to work or to school or used to haul other people’s property. Farm vehicles can include trailers used on the farm.

Antique Vehicles

If you have an antique vehicle that you want to insure, it must be substantially the same as the manufacturer’s original specifications with the proper historic licence plate. It cannot be used for regular transportation. It is rarely driven.


The All Terrain Vehicle and All Terrain Cycle are motorized vehicles designed for land or water (for example, Argo, Jigger, Gip-Sea, etc.) If they are used on public roads, they are rated as a motorcycle.


The Moped is a motor-assisted bicycle that has operable pedals, and weighs no more than 55 kg (120 lbs). It has no motor-driven clutch or gearbox and it can’t travel faster than 50 km (30 mph) on level ground. Piston displacement may not exceed 50 ccs.

Motorcycle/Dirt Bike/Mini Bike

Bikes in this category are motorized with a seat or saddle for the driver. They are designed to travel with a maximum of three wheels in contact with the ground.


These motorized vehicles are designed for recreational travel and accommodation. This category also includes trucks equipped with a non-detachable camper body, as well as converted buses and vans that are not used for general transportation.

Snow Vehicle

This motorized vehicle is designed exclusively for travel on snow and ice, and is rarely used on public roads.


The trailer can be a two- or four-wheeled vehicle with no power of its own, such as a travel and personal use utility trailer, hauled by a private passenger vehicle.


A fleet is a grouping of at least five commercial vehicles, commonly owned or managed, and having a specific use, excluding trailers. Vehicles in a fleet generally need the same coverage as individual vehicles.


A bus is a vehicle used to transport people on public streets or highways. This could include carrying students to school, groups of people on sightseeing trips, or employees to and from work.

Garage Auto

Because a garage has vehicles for the purpose of selling, repairing, maintaining, storing, servicing or parking them, a special Garage Automobile Policy is required. The garage coverage differs from the insurance needs of an individual insuring a vehicle solely for their own personal use.

Auto Insurance in Saskatchewan




As mentioned above, The Co-operators only offers extension packages in Saskatchewan. You must purchase your primary auto insurance from SGI and then you have the option to purchase additional packages to extend your insurance coverage. We strongly recommend purchasing an auto extension policy. Contact us for more information about The Co-operators auto extension packages.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *